Founded in 1979*, the International Cultic Studies Association (ICSA) is a global network of people concerned about psychological manipulation and abuse in cultic or high-demand groups, alternative movements, and other environments. ICSA is tax-exempt, supports civil liberties, and is not affiliated with any religious or commercial organizations.
ICSA is unique in how it brings together former group members, families, helping professionals and researchers.
ICSA's mission is to apply research and professional perspectives to:
- Help former members of cultic and other high-control environments
- Provide guidance and support to families of people involved in high-control environments
- Educate the public about psychological manipulation and the harmful effects of high-control environments
- Encourage, support, and conduct research to advance understanding of psychological manipulation and high-control environments
- Support helping professionals interested in this area