Workshop for Those Born/Raised in Cults (CT)
Surviving and Moving On After a High-Demand Group Experience: A Workshop for Those Born/Raised in Cults
When: Friday 4:00 pm April 26, 2019 to Sunday 2:00 pm April 28, 2019 (Check-in time is 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm.)
Where: Guest House Retreat & Conference Center, 318 West Main Street, Chester, CT 06412 (860–322–5770).
People born or raised in cultic environments cannot look back to a “pre-cult” identity. Raised in fringe subcultures, they often have educational and other skill deficits that interfere with adjustment to mainstream culture. Having grown up under the influence of irrational belief systems, they struggle with issues of dependency, self-esteem, and social conflict, and often have to deal with the trauma of physical and/or sexual abuse. They have difficulty getting help because they tend to lack finances and be wary of other people, including helpers.
Meeting annually since 2006, this workshop addresses the needs of people born or raised in cultic environments through presentations by specialists and former members, including discussions in which attendees may participate according to their comfort levels. Special attention is paid to attendees’ needs for privacy, reflection, and working at their own pace.
Workshop subjects include
- Critical Thinking: What Is It and Why Does It Matter?
- Is There Such a Thing As a Healthy Family?
- Stages of Development: What Did We Miss and How Can We Catch Up?
- Now We Are Parents: What Have We Learned?
- You Mean I Have a Right to Boundaries?
- What Are Our Strengths and Challenges Building a New Life?
- Perfectionism, or The Inner Critic: Can We Accept Success?
- Moving On: What Does It Mean and Is It Possible?
- Postcult, How Should We Feel Toward People Who Harmed Us?
- Relationships: Why Are They So Difficult?
This workshop has been made possible by special donations and the willingness of facilitators to volunteer their time. Without the dedication of these people, registration fees would be much higher than they are. Donations cover a substantial portion of the total cost. Because many people born or raised in cultic environments struggle financially, we urge those in need to apply for additional assistance. Please contact us at 239–514–3081 or email@example.com All contacts will be kept strictly confidential.
PLEASE NOTE: We cannot accept onsite applications or registrations, and we cannot guarantee acceptance of applications received within 14 days of the workshop start date.