Recovery Workshop for Former Group Members (CO)
Recovery Workshop for Former Group Members
When: Friday 3:00 p.m. July 29, 2016 to Sunday 3:00 p.m. July 31, 2016
Where: Franciscan Retreat/Conference Center, Colorado Springs, Colorado
These workshops are for former group members only, not family or friends (ICSA has other events for these persons. ICSA also has a special workshop for former group members who were born or raised in high-demand groups.)
The workshops are organized and coordinated by Carol Giambalvo, a thought reform consultant, former member of a controversial group, and author/editor of Exit Counseling: A Family Intervention and The Boston Movement: Critical Perspectives on the International Churches of Christ (Herbert L. Rosedale, co-editor). Mrs. Giambalvo serves ICSA as Director of Recovery Programs, which include workshops, special publications, professional liaison, and outreach.
The Colorado Model: A Workshop for Ex-Members. Carol Giambalvo and Rosanne Henry. Duration: 1 hour, 19 minutes.
International Cultic Studies Association (ICSA)
ICSA Recovery Workshops: The Colorado Model – Carol Giambalvo; Rosanne Henry (ICSA Today, Vol 1, No. 1, 2010, pages 2-9)
Topics discussed typically include:
- The nature of psychological manipulation and abuse
- Conditions of thought reform programs
- General recovery needs of former members
- Effects of hypnosis and trance techniques
- Critical thinking
- Relationships and intimacy
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Boundaries: re-establishing trust
- Reestablishing trust in yourself and others
- Dependency issues
- The grieving process
- Reintegration/identity issues
- Special track for those born into or raised in a cultic group
We cannot accept onsite registrations, and we cannot guarantee acceptance of registrations received within 14 days of the workshop start date.